Slovenia has recently transformed into a unique wedding destination for a large number of foreign tourists. Slovenia, as any other country on the globe, offers its visitors an impressing variety of geographic worlds interacting with one another. The Alps, the Mediterranean and the Pannonian Plain embrace this small European country. However, the most appealing features of Slovenia are the fairy-tale castles scattered across its territory. Here are 5 top places of breathtaking beauty for holding a unique wedding ceremony.
- Ljubljana Castle. Erected in the 11th century and once ruled by the Hapsburg Empire, Ljubljana Castle is deemed one of the most outstanding landmarks in the capital of Slovenia. It impresses with its diverse photo opportunities, 15th century stone watchtowers, a pearly open-air courtyard, baroque facades, a glass funicular and a viewing terrace, as well as majestic surroundings.
- Bled Castle. This is the oldest castle of Slovenia, which was first mentioned in 1011 in a donation deed document. Being located on top of a 130-meter cliff above the crystal pure waters of Lake Bled, the weather makes the castle a bit of a shapeshifter. In the early autumn morning, it may seem a mystical palace floating in the fog, while when the sunshine beams upon it, the castle transforms into a magical forest dwelling fit for Snow White. This is a perfect place for a bride and a broom to say “Yes” to each other.
- Otočec Castle. The castle was built in the 13th century. It is the only water castle in Slovenia, which is located on an island in the middle of the Krka River. Bordered with 200-year-old forest, the castle offers rectangular fortress walls, circular-shaped towers, and an inner courtyard, which is an ideal place for a wedding ceremony. Swans and ducks swim under the wooden bridge over the Krka River. This is a perfect choice for a private event.
- Predjama Castle. The castle was built by the Patriarchs of Aquileia in the 13th century. It features a blend of Gothic and Renaissance styles and lays at the mouth of an imposing bat cave. The castle is located on a 123-meter high cliff and is probably one of the future scenes for the new series of the Game of Thrones. It will be an ideal wedding destination for couples who adore mysteries of the past. They will appreciate the fortification and its intriguing labyrinth of underground tunnels.
- Gredič Castle. The castle was built in the 16th century and is located in the area called Tuscany of Slovenia due to a superb wines and a border with Italy. Those lucky ones who decide to have their wedding ceremony in this castle will receive a mix of worlds and cultures, from Italian-style villas nearby, chapel ruins across the way, valleys of green vineyards, and snow-capped Alps that line the horizon in the distance.